Adults & Children Equine Facilitated Learning in Leicestershire
Adult Personal Development Courses
Below are our adult mental health support courses. Each one runs as a one or two-day workshop designed to teach specific psychological skills and is facilitated by a professional EFL practitioner and our herd of therapy horses. Bespoke courses are also available upon request.
To enquire or book a course, please contact: 07714 269218 | email@example.com
Managing Anxiety and Depression
Anxiety and depression are incredibly common and often occur together. Managing the symptoms of either condition can be challenging, but can be made easier with training in the psychological skills to be self-aware, emotionally agile, cognitively mindful and resilient. Horses help facilitate this training by authentically responding to our emotional state and resulting body language.
What you will learn:
- Emotional self-awareness
- Emotional agility
- Recognising and coping with stressors and setting effective boundaries
- How to manage intrusive and negative thoughts
- How to develop resilience
Stress Management and Resilience Training
Resilience is the ability to cope with a crisis or setback and bounce back to pre-crisis status quickly, thereby protecting yourself from the potential negative effects of stressors. By managing stress and developing resilience, we can learn to minimise the effect of stressful events on our mental and physical wellbeing.
Our one-day course is designed to provide you with the psychological skills to be resilient in the face of stress and to turn a crisis into a challenge or even an opportunity.
What you will learn:
- How to identify stress through self-awareness and manage it effectively before it becomes unbearable
- Recognising and coping with stressors and setting boundaries
- Building individual resilience through emotion regulation, constructing an internal locus of control, manifesting healthy self-esteem and thought patterns, and cognitive restructuring/reframing
Healing from Trauma
Trauma created through abuse, neglect, grief or catastrophic events can have long lasting emotional and psychological effects. We have significant experience helping people recover from their past traumas and move forward in a positive way. With help from our therapy horses, our trauma course teaches key universal skills that can aid the healing of trauma in the mind and body.
This course focuses on:
- Creating a mindful emotional awareness
- How to be emotionally agile and manage unwanted emotions
- Generating resilience to triggers and stressors
- How to combat intrusive, unwanted and negative thoughts
- How to set boundaries with others
Emotional Intelligence and Emotional Agility training
Emotional intelligence is the capacity to recognise and manage both your own emotions and those of others. Emotionally intelligent people know, not only what they are feeling, but also what their emotions mean and how they affect other people’s emotions, behaviour and decision-making processes. Learning to be emotionally intelligent with good emotional agility can greatly improve your relationships, social comfort and career.
Horses can facilitate training in emotional intelligence as they can spot body language signals that are incongruent with the desired communication. Signals that humans often only process subconsciously, but that strongly influence conscious decision making.
What you will learn:
- Emotional awareness
- Emotional agility within your mindful awareness of your emotions so that you can use them positively and flexibly as required
- How to read and be responsive to other’s emotions whilst setting appropriate boundaries
- The ability to use an awareness of your emotions and others’ emotions to manage interactions successfully and create your desired outcomes
We have worked with children from a wide spectrum of backgrounds, including individuals with diagnosed learning disabilities, mental health conditions and/or a history of trauma, abuse or bullying. The results have been consistently positive and, often, life changing.
Our clients report that the sessions taught them more about themselves than they could ever imagine. They also facilitate stronger, more positive relationships within the school environment, as well as at home.
The Resilience Programme
Teaching children the psychological skills they need to be resilient and manage stressors in an ever more stressful world. Resilience is the ability to cope with a crisis or setback and bounce back to pre-crisis status quickly, thereby protecting yourself from the potential negative effects of stressors.
Our two-day course is designed to provide your children with the psychological skills they need to be resilient in the face of stress and to turn a crisis into a challenge to overcome or even an opportunity.
The ‘I Can Do’ Programme
Having good self-esteem and confidence are crucial for personal and profession progression in adulthood. Instilling and improving the psychological skills for sustaining confidence and self-esteem in children can help provide them with the tools they will need to attain their goals, whatever they may be, in the future, as well as helping maintain mental wellbeing.
Our confidence course is run over two-days, providing a comprehensive psychological learning experience.
This course can be booked by parents or guardians of children with ADHD and Autism or children who have experienced mental health issues or trauma. Based on the Horse Boy methods of Rupert Isaacson’s trainers from Texas and the Epona work of Linda Kohanov in the USA, this course will teach:
- How to manage anxiety and stress
- How to help the process of healing trauma
- Emotional intelligence and emotional agility
- Understanding how to manage your child’s behaviours and patterns
The courses are typically run on a Saturday morning.